Friday, October 12, 2012

To Be an Ant: The Treacherous Journey

An ant's work is never done! But it's amazing how strong they are for their size.

I believe these are Little Black Ants (Monomorium minimum), as each appears to have 2 nodes between the thorax and abdomen and corresponds to the size of the species (1 to 1.15 mm). Please correct me if I'm wrong. I referenced this site: http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/ants/littleant.shtml.

I'm not sure exactly what this white material is. More than one worker was carrying a similar-looking piece. I was unsuccessful in finding the source of the material. 
Here are two ants carrying the load together. Their journey is chronicled in the photos below.
A fortunate shot: you can see the long (yet tiny) legs of the worker on the left.

Take a moment and imagine the world from the perspective of an ant. As I said, Little Black Ants are 1 to 1.5 mm long. Even the smallest object to us is a mountain to them. They journey through canyons, over rivers, across fields and up hills that we tread on, thinking nothing of it. But compared to God, to whom the entire universe is but an infinitesimal dot, we are like ants. Let us therefore say with King David:

“O Lord, make me know my end
    and what is the measure of my days;
    let me know how fleeting I am!
Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
    and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!"        Selah
Psalm 39: 4-5

Stay tuned for the next installment in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment