Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Another Albino Sighting

I've left off posting about slugs for a while to give the other creatures their moment to shine, but I'm going to start interspersing some slug posts in the feed again because my backlog of photos is growing rapidly and I'm too excited about the data I've collected to not share them with you.

Since I last wrote concerning the albino slug, I've encountered him several more times. As far as I know, he's still the only albino in our Lehmannia valentiana population.

These were taken on the inner side of the lattice-work below the back porch:

Closed pneumostome...
Open pneumostome.
Not wanting to be photographed, he peered at me with one eye-spot. 

The albino stayed on the edge for a while but then crawled out of sight, so I had to pull back the lattice to get more pictures. (I was able to do this because the screws fastening it to the wood have come loose, and then I just had to hold it back with my elbow.)

When I pulled back the lattice, he drew in his tentacles.
Throughout the shoot, his pneumostome was opening and closing regularly, indicating that he was hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment