Thursday, October 4, 2012

Snakeskin

Several weeks ago I found the recently shed skin of an approx. 2-ft-long snake (probably a nonvenomous black racer of the species Coluber constrictor, but that's a conjecture) wrapped around the cross-ties in our backyard. The snake had rubbed against the wood, peeling back the skin, and slithered through the crack between the ties, where we found the head. I've only recently taken photos of the skin, as it's the first I've ever found and I had no idea what to do with it. I'm still not sure what to do with it, but now that I have a forum in which to talk about it, here are the photos. Unfortunately it's dried out since I found it so I couldn't manipulate it much, for fear of breaking it. Remember also that the skin is inside-out because that's how a snake sheds, using abrasion to peel the skin back over its body.
Even when pliable before it dried out, the skin was hard to stretch out, but with a measuring tape we estimated it to be about 2 ft long.
If you look closely you can see that the skin is divided into two parts. We were unable to retrieve it intact.

The eyes are inverted because the skin is inside-out. They should be convex instead of concave.
This area is where the skin received the most damage. We also lost the tip of the tail in retrieving it.

The front part of the skin is pretty ragged, but at least the top of the head  is fairly preserved.
The underbelly.
That black line indicates where the spine was. 

I did some manipulating here, pushing up the top of the head to give you an idea what it would  look like. The eyes of course would be curved outward, not inward. 

I would actually have to turn the head upside down and manipulate the skin to get the eyes convex again.

Here I've turned it upside down. The jaw, as you see, is on the top and the head on the bottom. But now the eyes are correctly shaped.

2 comments:

  1. Too cool! I do love to read of your findings every day. Insects can be quite fascinating creatures, especially when someone else is doing the handling thereof. Thanks Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know. So far I haven't found anyone among my family or friends who shares my interest in slugs. They like the photos but when it comes to actually touching a slug, well...that's where the interest ends. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I appreciate the readership.

    ReplyDelete