Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Albino

It seems that practically any creature can be born lacking the proper pigment. Here are some photos I took of an albino Lehmannia valentiana. Albinos among slug species are not as rare as you might think. Even so, I've only seen this slug twice. It ventures out onto the back porch in the same area and disappears again fairly quickly. The first two photos I took without a flash, and the rest with a flash, but I was experimenting at the time so the latter came out rather bright.

That's a sunflower seed next to the slug.
I turned on a floodlight in the background, and with this lighting there's enough contrast to see the open pneumostome and the ridges of its body. 
I wish I'd been able to get more contrast in this photo; nevertheless you can still get a sense of the body's translucence. You can't actually see the organs inside but you can see darker shapes below the surface.

I will post more photos if I (ever) see this unique slug again. As far as I know, it's the only full albino of the group that lives in our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment