Monday, January 14, 2013

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug At Night

Since queries related to the Stink Bug seem to be the second-most popular with reference to this blog, I thought I'd give you another post about the commonly-seen Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (Halyomorpha halys). Here again is the anatomical diagram of a stink bug I showed you before, compared to a photo I took recently:


I found this Stink Bug at night, which was a first for me. He decided that one of the posts of our back porch railing was the safest place to be, and it proved to be the driest as well, for the rain started pouring down soon after I began the shoot. At least he was dry; I was not.

A raindrop on the left hemielytron (wing-case).
A raindrop on the left eye.
The white bands on the antennae are characteristic of the species.

If you want to know more about stink bugs, I suggest you go to at least the first link I've listed below. 

References:
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/stinkbug-info.htm (answers many questions about stink bugs, such as "does a stink bug really stink?")
http://horticulture.oregonstate.edu/content/biology-and-identification (w/ reference to Oregon but still applicable across US)


No comments:

Post a Comment