Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Tight Fit

One of our American Toads (Bufo americanus) decided to try a new hunting tactic last night. Not satisfied with sitting on the cross-ties, waiting for insects to fly close to the lantern, the fat toad crawled down into the crack between two cross-ties, and waited there. Whether this proved successful or not, I can't say, but I caught her scrunched in there twice, and she seemed determined to make it work. I suppose she felt safe inside and hidden from view, in the perfect spot for an ambush. But I'm not sure how her tongue could reach anything from down there. Moreover, in order to fit she had to suck in her gut, so perhaps her breathing was a little constricted as well. At any rate, I found her behavior immensely amusing and couldn't resist photographing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment