Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Call of the Wild: Cope's Gray Tree Frog

As I mentioned in my post about the "monsoon", the newly created wetlands in our yard have attracted the local tree frogs, Hyla chrysoscelis, or Cope's Gray Tree Frog. They have descended from their arboreal habitat in order to breed, and the males can be heard bellowing every night. On the night of the worst rainstorm, one male hopped into our large blue hydrangea, right beside the back porch. Taking my camera with me, I followed his call and, to my delight, he was sitting on a leaf in an opening in the bush. The hole was large enough for my head, my camera, and my lantern to fit through. The frog wasn't too pleased at my intrusion, but his instinct to mate superseded his fear and he allowed me to photograph him as he bellowed. I nearly threw out my back waiting tensely for his vocal sac to expand each time, but the pain was worth it. I was also glad to provide him with a moist shelter in which to advertise himself, but I wish he had shown more gratitude than pooping on the leaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment